A History Lesson
Knight Insurance Group has a rich and long history. The roots of our company date back to 1859, when the Shawen Stieg & Whitaker Agency was incorporated in Toledo, Ohio. At the time, the product sold was mainly fire insurance. Think about the time frame—two years before the Civil War began. The light bulb was twenty years away from being invented; the automobile , fifty years!
The agency survived two World Wars, a Great Depression and watched America land on the moon. The 1980s brought the invention of the micro-computer, and a kid named Bill Gates took IBM by surprise with his company, Microsoft. In 1992, the World Wide Web was born, changing forever the way we get information and communicate with each other.
Through it all, we have always been focused on sound insurance advice, competitive prices, and great service. It’s really a simple formula, and it’s worked for us for over 150 years.
Why so many names?
We get this question often, and there’s a simple answer: acquisitions. One way the agency has grown is through purchasing other agencies. In the agency’s history, over 40 agencies were either acquired or merged into Knight Insurance Group. Some notable combinations:
· 1947: Keith Knight joins Huebner Cavanaugh.
· 1953: Keith Knight buys Shawen Stieg & Whitaker.
· 1990: Knight Insurance buys Kim Boyd Agency.
· 1997: Werner Insurance partners with Knight Insurance.
· 1999: The Crockett Miller Company merges with Knight Insurance.
· 2009: Knight Crockett Miller and Mark Willis purchase First Financial Insurance.
· 2009: First Financial Insurance locations renamed: Wilson Lawson Myers, White & Havens, Knight Willis Murphy.
· 2012: Mullan Insurance merges with Knight Crockett Miller.
· 2013: The family of agencies in operation renamed Knight Insurance Group.
· 2013: The Chisholm Agency, Westlake, OH, joins Knight Insurance.
· 2014: Spitz & Miller Insurance Agency merges with White & Havens.
Today, Knight Insurance Group is an insurance agency with five locations in the Midwest. We have teams of specialists in the product lines we serve.
Personal Lines (Home & Auto)
Clients who love us most are the ones who:
· Seek counsel about the best insurance portfolio.
· Want a relationship with an expert.
· Want to do business with a local company.
· Understand the value of longevity with a carrier.
· Stay with us for the long haul.
· Care about claims service.
We have extensive expertise in the products we sell. We have relationships with only the best carriers. We are great counselors. If you’re not a client, give us a try!
Insurance for Businesses
Our business insurance team collectively has a breadth of knowledge in industry niches, such as:
· Contractors (including bonding)
· Social service agencies
· Mixed-in transit
· Concrete ready-mix
· Financial institutions
Our approach is different from most. Where other agencies will price-shop your account, we analyze your account’s risk. The end result is vastly superior to the traditional method, and clients have told us so.
Financial Services. A team dedicated to your investments, group health, and 401k is on board. This team works solely in the Financial Services Department, so they are true experts of their products.
Having all these products available under one agency is what most clients like best about us. Clients know that our team are truly experts in their respective areas and the advice they’re receiving is the best available.